I would like to introduce you to two amazing elderly people whose names are Albert and Beulah. They have been married for 66 years and they are 91 years of age. I had the privilege of going over to their house with my family the other day. I was greeted by Albert standing in the door way with a big ‘ol grin, waiting for my family and I. Albert has a fun sense of humor and had decided to humor my sister and I by combing his white hair finely to the side while sporting a short leave old t-shirt with a red tied coming down from his neck and a golden pin holding it steady against his shirt. For his pants he was wearing jeans that were rolled up on the bottom to show off his mismatched socks that he was wearing with his slippers.
We were greeted with a hug and a laugh as we went inside to the warmth of the fire to see Beulah. Beulah has been learning to be more an observer and a listener due to her loss of memory and her mind slowly starting to deteriorate. She gave a warm, 5ft(ish) hug and a smile as we were moving in towards the kitchen.
During dinner, Albert started singing a song of how he met Beulah. What love, even though during these days the patience seems to wear thin as they booth slowly lose their memories and the days become longer, but as he sings about her and to her the love still shines through the sparkle in his eyes. The song had something to do with him going to her house, her saying no and then on his way home we remembered that he pray and so then he prayed and went to her house again and she said yes. What a man. Picture a white haired old man with a short sleeve shirt and tie, all light up like a Christmas tree. It was so great and I will cherish it forever! Later we went in the living room to talk and Beulah started singing with us the songs of old. They were songs she used to sing my sister and I growing up. I remember sitting on the floor listening to her sing, “You are my Sunshine,” “Listen to the Donkey,” and “Birdies in the Treetop.” These we sang together and her face light up as she remembered the words to the songs that we didn’t even remember. She didn’t care about what her voice sounded like. Now some of you may have guessed, these two special people are my grandparents. This night made my day. They are so loving and kind, goofy and stubborn but oh how I love them.
I am so blessed by them and their love and wisdom. They constantly tell me that they love me and I am positive that my grandpa prays for me every day like he says. What wisdom at that age! I love them both so much and I wanted you to meet them! Life is a gift!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . to be continued
No comments:
Post a Comment