Friday, January 20, 2012

Hurting World

Imagine you are walking down a busy street and you walk by a bride in a tattered wedding dress with bruises all over her body. Crossing the street you see this drunkard toddling back and forth trying to cross the street. you know what has happened. She was abused by her boyfriend and he threatened her often, especially when she wanted to put off the wedding. Somethings she loved him whole heartedly; he was romantic and filled her. There were other times where all he said hurt, broke her down, made her ashamed and she wanted out but didn't see a way. You stop thinking when you here this obnoxious singing down the road of victory. She has nothing without Him and there is is, bent over the steps crying. You don't know what to do or what to say and then the door opens with this well dressed, handsome, kind, whole man who walks to her, comforts her and picks her up and takes her inside.

You wonder what has happened so you walk in the door and they give you a seat. All of a sudden you see the man up front with a huge smile on his face looking at the back door. All of a sudden, the woman walks in with no scars and a beautiful white dress and the room is taken back and it is silent. Curious you ask how she was so beautiful, how she learned to love him so. They can't stop talking about how in love they are and go on to explain that he loved her at her worse and she accepted his offer and he has cleaned her up and made her his own. The wedding proceeds and soon they become one.

What a story huh! Sin is sometimes satisfying and it catches us and screams victory. It beats us down until we are ugly and enslaved to it that we no nothing else and then Jesus comes and makes us, the church His bride so that we can become One. Isn't that amazing. No one marries an ugly bride.

Today we talked about the mission of the church at the Truth and Life conference at my school, The Master's College. Our job as the church is to share this love and make disciples. As I flew down to California I had a lot of time to listen and think on the plane rides and during my layover in Las Vegas. It burdened my heart so greatly as I heard people talk and knew that the world is hurting and it is so dirty. As I looked down at the mountains and tearing my heart hurt as I thought of God looking down at us and seeing what we have done to this world because of sin. I listened to a drunk curse, I listened to my Jesus' name misused, I heard yelling and curses at one another simply because they lost one another in the airport even though they still had an hour until the plane was boarded. They had cell phones too. I listened to a man tell me his daughter was so happy because it was his karma, I watched a young girl drink a beer and couldn't wait to go out and smoke. People this world is hurting and they have no idea! They think they are living the life when instead there is this Jesus size gap in their hearts. What are we going to do about it? Are you going to join the mission to seek after them and save a life through Jesus! Imagine what they are going to have to face, who cares about pride in this case, we must! It is what we were called to do and what Jesus did to us. Are you so excited about it that you want to share to the world about this love of how this man cleaned you up and married you! How you are a willing servant of Him who you want to please? Please join me in this mission!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Briana Cowan!!! I'm so thankful to have a friend like you to encourage me in doing what we're called to do. We are the lights of the world, so we have to let our lights shine!

    ReplyDelete