Friday, August 17, 2012

Hearing the Lord's Voice


            Man, my mind is going a hundred miles an hour as I am trying to collect my thoughts to write them down. I cannot believe that 1 week from today I will be settling in my dorm room and be reunited with the rest of my friends as my dear friend Kristi will have already greeted me the day before at the airport. As we sang Bless the Lord in church, I closed my eyes and I could see Jen, and Joelle sitting next to me in chapel as that is a common chapel song. I love that place, I know I do. I know that when I returned home for the summer I was excited to go back and I wish I had that enthusiasm right now. It helped me to grow so much in so many ways and I just loved the spiritual growth it has given me as well! I am just struggling with the thought of leaving my family and my comfort to what feels like an imaginary place, a dream world with people that were just clouds in my head. I know once I get there things will be great, it will feel like home again, I’ll be happy and life will pick up where it left off but from this side of the border, it is hard to imagine and be happy about it. It feels like there is so much to get done before Thursday but I just need to take once step at a time.
            Onto a lighter note J Do you ever hear the Lord’s nudging voice in your head? That is something that I have been thinking a lot about lately. I feel like more recently I have been listening to it and questioning if it really is the voice of the Lord. There are times when I pushed it off thinking that it was just my head going off to see someone else do the very thing that I heard in my head to do. My senior year was when I first noticed it in a big way and more recently I have been trying to abide by that voice, try not to question it as much. The Lord is so personal, so caring, so loving. I was asked by one of the twins I watched for about a month this summer “How we are talking to God if He doesn’t talk back?” Oh how I love the mind of a child. It was good for me to speak it out to him that God doesn’t always speak in a voice we can hear but we need to listen for Him in our head and in our hearts. I said that it is hard to talk to someone that we cannot get a response from but we need to look throughout the day at all the things that He puts into place that could only happen by Him and see how caring He is of our lives and how He wants to be so involved.  I would love to hear your comments about this topic! Do you hear the Lord’s voice in your head or is it merely yourself speaking? How do you feel the Lord speaking to you?
            Well, I got to take off. I’m going on a date with one of my favorite people. Ha! Bet I got you ready to start roomers ;) It is my cousin don’t worry. Got to enjoy my time with these people at home cause I’m not going to see them for 4 whole months! Man I am gunna miss Oregon. It is just so beautiful, so peaceful, so laid back, so calm. I love how here we just take in the beauty of the landscape and take time to relax whereas in California (Southern anyway) everything is fast paced/go all the time. This week I feel like is gunna be go all the time but that’s ok. I’ll miss these people. 

2 comments:

  1. Briana! I love this post!! I definitely do think that God communicates with us in subtle whispers to our hearts. I have heard Him nudging me deep down, taken a step of faith in doing what He asked and it has been SO good. Sometimes though, His words can be so strong, they consume you. He is a personal God. He is One that wants to know us so intimately. I love you girl and I am happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana, So fitting for me right now to read your thoughts and heart on listening for God's voice! I loved what you answered one of the little twins when you said,... "Oh how I love the mind of a child. It was good for me to speak it out to him that God doesn’t always speak in a voice we can hear but we need to listen for Him in our head and in our hearts." ... I read something day before yesterday in "My Utmost for His Highest" Entitled "Quench Not The Spirit" 1 Thess 5: 19, by Oswald Chambers. I loved it... "The voice of the Spirit is a gentle as a zephyr, so gentle that unless you are living in...communion with God you never hear it. The checks of the Spirit, come in the most extraordinarily gentle ways, and if you are not sensitive enough to detect His voice you will quench it,and your personal spiritual life will be impaired. His checks always come as a still small voice...Whenever the Spirit checks, call a halt and get the thing right." I love that. And I love you too! Have so much fun this year!!!

    ReplyDelete