I can't stop looking at this page with excitement and a cheesy grin on my face. That's me! I'm doing this thing with God's help and possibly yours if you join me. Craziness! Guys this is going to be the hardest thing i've ever done but I have a feeling it may be the most rewarding thing and I am so excited to hopefully impact these precious children's lives.
Here is a little back story of how it happened.
In 2014 I went with 3 other people from my church (my second time being there). We were there to do a video project and so we did a lot of walking through the streets of Palo. Every time I've been to the DR its felt like home. My group wanted to leave me there and encouraged me to try and make it back there. I had good conversations with Jan, the lady(and a friend) who started the school. She understood a lot of what I was feeling with my life and told me I was probably going to be restless until I listened to my heart. I had made a comment at that time that if I went back I would want to be in charge of sponsorship but at that time the position was filled and I didn't think it would open anytime soon.
Fast forward two years and God brings me back, the last person on the list before it was full. I went down there with not many expectations and one of the first few things I learn when I am at the airport is that the sponsorship position was open and I can't get it out of my head. In my journal I wrote "I just wish I could communicate and know if this is where the Lord wants me. Lord please show me. I know I shouldn't need it but can I have a sign or a huge peace about it. Please give me wisdom."
A few days later I hear the man who does the recruiting from the home office is in the DR. By chance? I think not! Jeff, the Vice President of Operations, came over for dinner one night and gave us a little presentation on KAI and he also had Brian come so that we could talk. It happened so fast. Mark documented the moment and I turned beat red because I knew he was taking the picture but I am so glad he did :)
The rest of the time I was helping arrange students for pictures, figuring out their name tags, taking pictures, and meeting numerous staff members and getting to know them. One blessed me with her excitement of the possibility of coming down there. She asked if she came back tomorrow and told her God had a dream I was supposed to be there if that would help :) They encouraged the idea with open arms. I spent hours with the regional director taking pictures at other sites asking him lots of questions about the process. When we were in the bus ready to head to the beach for our last day he said, "See you in January" (Assuming the process would take that long. . .not sure when I will make it down there yet but that will come later).
While I was in the airport I emailed Brian who got me in touch with his secretary and the application process began and took 3 months and now here I am, in amazement that it is happening!
I have had many people tell me that it makes sense, that they wondered if I would do something like this and so on. I hold onto that. Truly. God is using you folks!
There are so many unknowns and I will try and post as I know more and maybe start a new blog for this but I want to write this down while I remember and share the beginning with you. Thank you for exploring my journey!
No comments:
Post a Comment