If you would have told me I would be living back at home, with a full time office job, single and broke after 2 years of college I wouldn’t have believed you (ok except for the broke part). I always pictured myself going to college, getting married, having kids. . . I mean those are the stages of life right? HA! So here I sit, after having the best 2 years of my life, being active and traveling the country of Israel to sitting at a desk 9hrs a day has been quite an adjustment to say the least. I now find myself living for the weekends. Are you someone who lives for the weekends?
Now how does this have to do with prayer?
Is prayer a fast paced on-the-go deal or is it a full reflection and admiration? If I spent more time focusing on God and spending time in prayer than I did having a pity party for myself wouldn’t it make life a lot easier? Why is it so hard to pray? Does anyone else have this problem because for me it is a constant battle. I know it is extremely important but why can’t my head grasp how important it is? Yes I pray every day but not whole heartedly, focusing on my Father, the King of Kings who deserves much more than that.
I have a co-worker who has nothing to do with religion but she was going through something hard and the only thing I could think of was “I’ll pray for you.” I didn’t say it out loud but I did send her an e-mail letting her know I was praying. That was the something I could do. I loved that my mind went straight to prayer because it should but it shouldn’t just be a go to when things get tough.
I had a friend give me the idea to write my prayers down in a journal and I did good for awhile but recently. . . uh. . . not so great. As I blog through this I might write some simple prayers on here and then I am going to make myself write. Will you join me?
Creator,
You are good, beautiful, loving. You are mighty, You are in control. Help me to grasp that and to whole heartedly seek you through prayer. I want to serve You and devote my attention to you. Please teach me to pray.
Amen.
Oh man, sis. I'm really struggling with prayer right now. I hate it. I was talking with a woman tonight, and she says that even before her feet hit the floor in the morning, she says the Lord's Prayer and recites Psalms 23 outloud. She also said that she takes several moments throughout the day to simply pause for 30 seconds, whether that's just to take some deep breaths or to pray. I wanna try to do that. It seems like it might be really powerful. Prayer is frustrating sometimes. Maybe that means we're on the right track though?
ReplyDelete