What does church mean to you?
Is it something you do to check off your to do list?
Does it make you feel less guilty?
Is it your salvation?
This Sunday I went to church like normal, felt a little sick to my stomach in the car but figured i was just looking down too much. Before Sunday school even, I was looking at the mailboxes when all of a sudden I felt like I was going to pass out, the ringing in the ears that starts to get muffled etc. Thankfully my mom followed me into the bathroom. I was pale and at this point my hands were very shaky and I was in intense pain. The only thing I could do was lay on the bench or on my moms lap until finally I was able to walk to the car and lay down again. My mom got my dad out of sunday school and they took me home (for those of you who don't know, church is 30min away so it isn't very easy to leave someone there and go pick them up later).
All that to say, I didn't get church this week and it has totally thrown me off. I don't think it has ever thrown me off this much (probably has to do with working with unbelievers everyday). I went to the building, yes, but I didn't get my time out. I missed the people. I missed hearing about lives, hearing about real struggles but what Christ is doing in there lives. I missed hearing about my Savior and worshiping Him with the body. The building isn't fulfilling. The Person who is head of the church is what is fulfilling.
Church is a time out. Time out of work and the non-christian environment to let you know that you are not a lone and that you can do it with the help of Christ. A time to get our head in the game, our pep talk, our time out.
So I ask you again, what is church to you?
Please don't go for salvation, as something to check off. If that is the case don't go. Don't lie to yourself or others. Search your heart and see your motive for going to church. For believers who have grown up in the church, also check yourself. If your parents didn't go would you still? What does it mean to you?
Final thought. Saw this video and thought it was really good. Church isn't about us, it is about Him. Make sure Christ is the center of your life, of your church.
Youtube, Vertical Church
(move your mouse over words and it will allow you to click on the link)

YES, YES, YES! You blogged again! :) This is so good. I'm missing Fairview, and honestly, I didn't know if I'd ever be able to say that, but I think God's trying to show me about a vertical church. I think for quite a while, I got so hooked on the need to relate to people, and I didn't feel like Fairview was doing it. I'm learning though that it's not about relating, it's about seeking the Lord, and our message will be applicable, and love can be convincing if we have our priorities in check. Thanks, sis. :) I love you! So sorry you had to miss church. Hope you're feeling better!
ReplyDelete